Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Welcome to Grade 4/5!

Happy first day of school & welcome to Grade 4/5! I thought on our first day as a class you might like to know a little bit more about your teacher just as I would like to know more about you. 

I grew up in Ontario and just recently moved to Saskatchewan. I hope that you will share your favourite things to see & do in Regina with me so that I can get ideas! I like to try new things - but am a little afraid of heights. 

Before moving to Regina, I lived in Brisbane, Australia. It was a very lovely place to live - the coldest I remember it getting was -2 degrees Celsius one winter night - but it's nice to be back in Canada with my family (and putting golden syrup on pancakes just isn't quite the same as maple syrup). While in Australia, I worked with Grade 6/7 students doing things like designing healthy recipes for a cookbook, hosting a paper airplane building competition and making boardgames. This year, I am excited to try new things with our Grade 4/5 class. 

What else have I done? Here are a few highlights: 
  • Snorkeled in the Galapagos Islands with sharks & marine iguanas
  • Held a baby crocodile
  • Listened to parrot fish crunching on the Great Barrier Reef while snorkeling
  • Learned to kayak this past summer in Ontario
  • Tried to snowboard in New Zealand (I'm not very good...)
Want to know more about me? Just ask! Have any ideas about what you might like to do this year? Let me know! I look forward to working with you to make this a productive, exciting and adventurous school year.

A short note to parents: My intention with this website is to provide a central location to organize our classroom information. Posted to the website will be things such as:
  • Important dates (excursions, assessments, etc)
  • Updates on classroom activities
  • Assignment task sheets & rubrics
  • Links to research sites, including online encyclopedias
  • Links to online activities/games to reinforce classroom learning
If you have any specific questions relating to your student, classroom procedures or general expectations, please contact me directly.

I'm looking forward to working with you & your students in the coming months.

Sincerely, 

J. Foell